Sports in Tumkur
Tumkur is still developing in the sports area. In 1969, the department for ‘Youth Services and Sports’ was initiated with a view to encourage youth and sports activities in the state of Karnataka. This department is under the charge of the commissioner or the director of youth and services through IPS, IAS or KAS. At the district level, the department is in charge of the assistant director followed by superintendent, second division assistant and Group D official. Moreover, 1 sport authority of India and 4 sports authority of Karnataka assist the assisting director to manage the various activities of the department.
This program was started with an objective to enhance the performance of youths in the field of various sports activities. Schemes were initiated through the Zilla Panchayat to increase sports development at the grassroots level such as Youth Welfare Programs for Youth Club Members, Maintenance of Stadium, Organization of Meets and Rallies, Construction of Rural Gymnasium and taluk level stadium, Grants for Construction of Indoor Stadium and Khusti Akhada, grants for development of play fields, Sports Training in Rural Areas and implementation of Panchayat Yuva Krida Aur Khel Abhiyan (PYKKA). Additionally, the government has also constructed many sports facilities at the district level to increase participation in sports. Tumkar has outdoor and indoor facilities such as an athletic track, basketball court, volleyball, handball and a sports hostel building.
The PYKKA is a rural sports initiative taken by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to encourage development of sports at the district levels. PYKKA provides funds for maintenance and construction of sports grounds at village and Panchayat levels. PYKKA conducts many national level competitions such The National Level rural Competition and The National Level Women Competitions. Tumkur participates for judo, weightlifting and football for the rural competitions and for the latter; Tumkur mainly participates for Kho Kho, Kabaddi and Volleyball.
Youth Services and Sports Department Programs
1. Rural Sports Centers – Authorizes grants of various sports equipments to different educational institutions and youth/Yuvati clubs.
2. Sports School – Handles and maintains Tumkur sports school and hostel.
3. Organization of sports and rallies and payment of TA, DA to the participants – This department handles all the expenses related to the performance of various departmental activities such as rural sports, women sports, dasara sports, youth festivals and rallies and Traveling Allowance and Daily Allowance of the participants.
4. Construction and maintenance of stadium – All expenses pertaining to the constructions and maintenance of District Stadium at Tumkur and Taluk Stadium at Sira, Pavagada, Madhugiri, Tiptur, Koratagere and Turuvekere.
5. Indoor stadium and Open Air Theatre – Construction and annual maintenance of the Indoor Stadium at Tumkur such as providing lighting, gumming and so on.
6. Financial assistance to Indigenous sports persons and Wrestlers – Giving pensions to ten native sports persons and wrestlers of the Tumkur District.
Apart from the above schemes, other non plan activities under this program includes salary and allowances of officers and staff, providing sports equipment for practice and Traveling and Daily allowances of coaches.
The major achievements of this department include construction and maintenance of the district and indoor stadium and the sports hostel in Tumkur and construction and maintenance of the Taluk Stadium at Sira, Pavagada, Madhugiri, Tiptur, Koratagere, Turuvekere and Kunigal (under progress).
The Mahatma Gandhi Stadium at Tumkur is a multi purpose stadium in the district, which hosts many sports such as hockey, Kho Kho, Kabaddi, Gymnastics and Various types of Athletics. The main person of contact at the Mahatma Gandhi Stadium at Tumkur, is the assistant director, Seebirangaiah (0816-2278124) followed by superintendents M.C.Yogeesha (0816-2278124) and Lakshmi M (0816-2278124).
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0